Landlord charged after boy falls ill with lead poisoning
Wednesday 02/23/05 4:30pm
DETROIT - A landlord was charged by prosecutors today after a 23-month-old boy living in his apartment became severely ill with lead poisoning.
The new law went into effect January 2, designed to crack down on landlords who fail to clean up lead paint.
Landlords convicted of knowingly leasing a rental unit with a lead-based paint hazard or failing to take care of a hazard within 30 days of being notified of it could face the maximum penalty of 93 days in jail and a five-thousand dollar fine. The fine jumps to ten-thousand dollars on the second offense.
The boy was hospitalized in late August with fever, weight loss and fatigue. Doctors found 55 mcg of lead per deciliter of blood -- more than five times the acceptable level.
Lease and Rental Agreements